This RAF camp on Cannock Chase was constructed in 1938/1939.It was known as No6 School of Technical Training. In 1950 the camp became the No11 School of Recruit Training and approx 81,500 Regular and National Service troops recieved their 8 weeks basic training here.
It was a huge site with its own cinema, hospital, post office, 3 churches, 2 firing ranges and more..
The last passing out parade was in 1956 before closing. Just 10 days after closing , 800 refugees from Hungary . fleeing the uprising and conflicts against Communism, were housed here until permenant housing could be found. The camp was eventually demolished in the early `70`s
The Main Gates
Main road through camp, just north of Parade Ground
Among the aicraft at the camp were 2 Spitfires, that were resident from 1950 to 1954, both fully operational and flying many sorties during WWII. One of which is still flying in New Zealand.